Medicare At-Risk Populations by Geography
Over 3 million Medicare beneficiaries rely on electricity-dependent durable medical and assistive equipment (DME) and devices to live independently in their homes, and some of those individuals also have health care service dependencies. Severe weather and other emergencies, especially those with prolonged power outages, can be life-threatening for these individuals. The HHS emPOWER Map is updated monthly and displays the total number of Medicare beneficiaries who have had an administrative claim for one or more types of electricity-dependent durable medical and assistive equipment (DME) and devices, as well as at-risk combinations data for those who rely on a certain essential health care service(s) and any electricity-dependent DME and devices.
Map users can select different geographies, as needed, to identify at-risk populations and download selected data results to inform their emergency preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation public health activities. Users can also access near real-time natural hazard data layers to anticipate and address the needs of at-risk community members in emergencies. For more instructions and information, review the detailed job aids in the top right corner.
MEDICARE DATA TOTALS
Hover over or select attributes to display Medicare data for a state/territory, or county(ies) or ZIP Code(s) within a state/territory, and natural hazard data. Download selected Medicare data in the table below.
Medicare Data Totals by Selected Geographies
Download the data from this tableDOWNLOAD DATA
Medicare At-Risk Populations by Geography
This interactive table allows users to perform Medicare beneficiary data queries to identify unique data totals for multiple geographies that can also cross jurisdictional boundaries, including states/territories, counties, and ZIP Codes. Users can select different geographies, as needed, and one of the at-risk data options to identify individual and aggregated data totals for the selections and download the selected data results for additional analysis. For more detailed instructions and information on this query capability, review the HHS emPOWER Map Job Aid in the top right corner.
Select the options below to download Medicare data for one or multiple states; single or multiple counties within a state; and/or single or multiple ZIP Codes within a county.
Medicare Data Totals
Details on Medicare Data
The map provides de-identified administrative insurance claims data, updated monthly, on Medicare Fee-for-Service and Medicare Advantage (Parts A, B, and C) beneficiaries, which includes enrolled Americans ages 65 and over, and disabled Americans under age 65. The totals listed here may underestimate the total at-risk Medicare beneficiary population due to certain Medicare policies and processes.
The "At-Risk Data" dropdown menu allows users to select and display the data layer for electricity-dependent DME ALL or select one of the other (5) DME and health care service dependent at-risk population data combination options described below.
- The "Electricity Dependent DME ALL" option displays the total electricity-dependent number, by location, that represents the total number of beneficiaries with claims in Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) databases for: ventilator, bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP) machine, enteral feeding machine, intravenous (IV) infusion pump, suction pump, at-home dialysis machine, electric wheelchair, electric scooter, and electric bed equipment in the past 13 months; oxygen concentrator equipment in the past 36 months; and implanted cardiac devices that include left ventricular assistive device (LVAD), right ventricular assistive device (RVAD), bi-ventricular assistive device (BIVAD), and total artificial heart (TAH) in the past 5 years.
- The "In-Facility ESRD Dialysis Any DME" option displays beneficiaries who receive in-facility End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) dialysis treatment services and use one or more types of the electricity-dependent DME and devices.
- The "O2 Services Any DME" option displays individuals who receive home oxygen tank service delivery and use one or more types of the electricity-dependent DME and devices.
- The "Home Health Services Any DME" option displays individuals who receive home health care services and use one or more types of the electricity-dependent DME and devices.
- The "At-Home Hospice Any DME" option displays individuals who receive at-home hospice care and use one or more types of the electricity-dependent DME and devices.
- The "Any Healthcare Service Any DME" option displays individuals who receive any health care service(s) and use one or more types of the electricity-dependent DME and devices.
Intended Use and Contact Information
The map is provided to inform and support community partner emergency preparedness, mitigation, response, recovery, and resilience activities. Use of this tool and data signifies your agreement to use it for the specified purposes and to make no attempt to identify any individual in this data. Any additional questions regarding this map can be sent to email@example.com.
The HHS emPOWER Program uses several de-identification methods to minimize, if not eliminate, the possibility that someone could identify individuals in the data. Methodologies used are in accordance with the Health Information Portability Act (HIPAA) of 1996, Privacy Act of 1975 and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Cell Size Suppression Policy, which dictates that no cell with a value of 1 to 10 be reported or derived from other reported cells or information. To address this requirement, small cell values between 1 and 11 are reported as 11. More information is available at https://www.resdac.org/articles/cms-cell-size-suppression-policy.
Public REST Services Featured in the HHS emPOWER Map
Information on the HHS emPOWER REST Representational State Transfer (REST) Service and other featured natural hazard REST services can be found using the links provided below.
HHS emPOWER REST Service_Public: https://services2.arcgis.com/ZQ4jTQn6k7VPXEwO/arcgis/rest/services/HHS_emPOWER_REST_Service_Public/FeatureServer
- Informational page: https://empowerprogram.hhs.gov/empower-rest.html
- Job Aid: https://empowerprogram.hhs.gov/REST-Service-Job-Aid.pdf
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Weather Service Alerts: http://www.weather.gov
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Hurricanes, Radar, Flood, Precipitation, and Storm Prediction: https://idpgis.ncep.noaa.gov/arcgis/rest/services
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Long Duration, Short Duration and Cold and Heat Hazards: https://new.nowcoast.noaa.gov/arcgis/rest/services
- Wildfire: https://services9.arcgis.com/RHVPKKiFTONKtxq3/arcgis/rest/services/USA_Wildfires_v1/FeatureServer
- USGS Seismic Activity: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/arcgis/rest/services/eq/dyfi_30DaySignificant/MapServer